In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sweet Potato Muffins


As I was reviewing this blog I realized that I have left out one of my favorite "go to" recipes....Sweet Potato Muffins. I am a big fan of muffins and quick breads because they are so portable.
I discovered this recipe in a magazine last year, and have made it countless times since! It is a great way to use leftover sweet potatoes.
The recipe calls for raisins, but I have also used crasins with wonderful results. The cinnamon and sugar on top provides a wonderfully crisp, crunchy topping, and the muffins are moist and soft. If you have a picky eater this is a great way to sneak some veggies in without them even knowing it!

ENJOY!!!

Sweet Potato Muffins

½ cup butter (softened)
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 ¼ cups mashed sweet potatoes (1 lrg potato)
¼ cup milk
1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped pecans

Topping: 2 TB sugar/ ¼ tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating on a medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the sweet potatoes and milk. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in raisins and pecans. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full. Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle liberally over each muffin. Bake at 375 for 25-27 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!