In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Marathon: Day One!


Today began my Christmas baking. Don't get me wrong, I have been baking this whole season, but now it is specifically for Christmas Eve and Day.
What I have decided to do this year is do one type of chocolate bark, and a cookie each day. Today I made peppermint bark, and my mocha chip cookies.
Now everyone usually has their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Personally, I just use the one on the back of the bags of whatever chips I have, and have never been disappointed. What I do to turn them into mocha chips is add one tsp of instant decaf coffee. It really brings out the chocolate flavor and adds a real depth to the classic cookie.
I got the recipe for chocolate bark from the Food Network Magazine. I did use chocolate chips instead of block chocolate because not only was it a bit cheaper, it also took one of the steps out and made it even easier. I will post the basic recipe today, and then share what I added to each one of the barks that I make.

Line baking sheet with foil, shiny side up, smooth out the creases.
Pick your ingredients. Must include 1 lb chocolate either bittersweet or semisweet, and then whatever toppings you like. Today I used crushed up peppermint candy with white chocolate.
Make sure all your tools are dry. Chop chocolate into 1/2 inch pieces if you are using a bar instead of chips. Place all but 1 cup of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds, then stir with a rubber spatula. Continue microwaving and stirring at 30 second intervals until melted. 3-5 minutes total.
Immediately add the reserved chopped chocolate to the bowl. Stir vigorously until melted and shiny. Don't worry if there are a few small unmelted pieces.
Pour the chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet; use the rubber spatula to spread it into a 10 to 12 inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
Press your toppings into the chocolate, arranging them so each bite has a mix of flavors and textures. Let bark harden completely at room temperature, about 1 hour. Break into pieces and store in a airtight container at room temperature of 1 to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!