In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sales are Mothers of Invention

Today when I went to Safeway they had a sale on raspberries, buy one get one free. I love sales like that. However, that ment that I had to find something to do with all those raspberries...I know....such a tough life.
This evening I have book club, it is one of my favorite nights of the month. So I decided I would do something with the raspberries to bring to the girls.
I came up with a chocolate raspberry cheesecake cupcake. I combined my favorite chocolate cake recipe, with a cheesecake concoction and ended up with a very tasty morsel!

Beatty's Chocolate Cake (this is an Ina Garten recipe that I LOVE!!!!)
Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups good cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee ( I used French Vanilla coffee for the cupcakes.)

Cheesecake Filling

1 pkg cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 egg


Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins with either papers or grease and flour them.

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

For the filling: cream together the cream cheese and egg, add raspberries and sugar and beat until smooth.

To fill the tins: Put about a Tbsp of the batter in the cup. Add 1 tsp of the cheesecake filling, then add another Tbsp of the batter on top.

Bake at 350 for between 20 and 25 min. Take them out and let them cool. I frosted them with store bought dark chocolate icing. ( I didn't have all the ingredients for my favorite frosting)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!