In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Long Awaited Mac n Cheese Recipe

While my husband was in basic training I lived with my in laws. My father in law is a pretty good cook, and I took advantage of the time to learn some basics from him. The thing I have used the most is his cream sauce, which I have added some wonderfulness and turned into a mac n cheese that is loved by many!

Ingredients:
1 box macaroni noodles
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 lb grated cheese ( I like a mix of colby and sharp chedder)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt/pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 sleeve crushed ritz crackers

Cook pasta according to package and set aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and cook on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add cream and milk. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and paprika to the sauce. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally on medium heat. Turn off heat and add cheese and stir until melted.
Combine sauce and pasta. Sprinkle crushed ritz on top. Bake in a 350 oven, covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!