In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reviving an Old Favorite


As I have mentioned in my last post, I really love the fall. Last night I broke out one of my favorites, a potato soup recipe. I have changed a couple of things and switched it to a crock pot recipe. It turned out to be delicious! It does have a couple of steps, but the steps make it worth it!
Ingredients
10 potatoes (I just use the small ones that come in a bag)
3 cans chicken broth
2 cups frozen corn
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
2 onions
1 head of garlic
Shredded cheese, chives and bacon for toppings

Early in the day, cut up the onions into four pieces each. Place them in a baking dish along with the head of garlic cut in half. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes on 350 degrees.
Once they are cooled enough, chop up both the garlic and onions, place to the side.
Cut up the potatoes and place them in your slow cooker. Add chicken broth making sure that the broth just covers the potatoes. Add onions, garlic and corn.
Cook on high for four hours. After the four hours are done, add salt, pepper and whipping cream. Stir and continue cooking on low for additional two hours.
Right before serving stir in sour cream.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon cut and fried till crispy and chives. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great and I should have known you'd throw roasted garlic in there ;)...I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!