In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Meatloaf....the center of contraversy!

I have come to realize lately that when it comes to meatloaf, people have very definite feelings on this dish. People either love it, or hate it.
In our family we love it. Now I have played with a couple of different recipes during the years and have found out that the simpler the better. (This was after the Italian meatloaf debacle)
However, recently I was inspired by the show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" to do a little revamping on my recipe, and it turned out wonderfully. Carrots, onions and mushrooms gave it some wonderful texture and added flavor.

Updated Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (on a side note, if you can find a meatloaf mix of meat (pork, ground beef and veal, it is worth the extra money)
2 Tblsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
3 carrots
1 small onion
1/4 lb mushrooms
Ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put carrots, onion and mushroom through the food processor. Mix well. Add meat, Worcestershire, egg, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Form into a loaf or bake in a loaf pan. Drizzle top with ketchup, and bake for 45 minutes.


Now, you can't serve meatloaf without mashed potatoes, that would just be silly! I use sour cream, butter, salt, pepper and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese to mine.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. I love making mini-meatloaves. They're sized great for each person and it makes leftovers super easy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!