In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hamburgers Impossible

Last Monday I had burgers on our menu for dinner, and to be honest I wasn't too excited about it. We had been out of town for the weekend and eaten fast food, and the idea of another burger was just not appetizing. So I went on Food Network.com to look for inspiration.
I found it! Robert Irvine, chef on "Dinner Impossible", had posted a recipe for Llama burgers that sounded delish. Now Llama isn't something that I have in my kitchen, so I took a couple of liberties with the recipe. It turned out a burger that was very refreshing and light. It turned out so wonderful that I have a feeling we will be having them more often.

Burgers
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp minced thyme leaves
1 tsp minced rosemary leaves
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
a drizzle balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped onions
fresh raw spinach
burger buns

Blend the meat, the egg, bread crumbs, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, feta, and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well and form into 8 equal round patties, no more than 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, allowing the ingredients and flavors to blend together.

Heat the grill to medium-high heat.

Add the burgers to the grill and cook until desired doneness is achieved, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove and arrange place on buns with the onions,spinach and tomatoes drizzled with the vinegar.

(I am thinking that next time we will also top with a little bit of olive tapenade.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!