In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I went BANANAS!!!!!

I really enjoy bananas. However, I am very picky when it comes to eating my bananas in their true state. They have to be at the perfect place between being ripe, but not too right. A little green at both ends is that perfect place.
Once they move beyond that I really have no interest in eating them, and have to find other ways of using them. Today I was faced with the task of using up 6 bananas. And before you read any further, yes I do know that you can freeze them, but I haven't found a way to do it that doesn't turn them into a yucky mess.
So I tackled the bananas. My first thought was to turn them into banana cupcakes with a chocolate ganache frosting. I mixed up the batter and then found out that I didn't have enough cupcake papers. So we made 8 cupcakes, and baked the rest into a 13x9 cake. The chocolate ganache called for whipping cream, which I didn't have in the house, so after contemplating dragging two children out in the pouring down rain, and deciding that it was not a good idea, I made a simple chocolate frosting.
It turned out really well, the bananas kept the cake nice and moist and the chocolate frosting was wonderful.
(my little banana helper)
That used up four bananas. I still had two left, so I turned them into banana chocolate chip bagels. I did have to adjust the recipe adding almost two extra cups of flour because I didn't realize how much the banana would affect the consistency of the dough. They did turn out quite nicely, I might add more bananas next time. I will still have to play around with that one.
But here are the recipes for the Banana Cake/Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting that I used.


Banana Cake
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/8 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 bananas mushed
1 1/2 cups of milk

Combine all ingredients and mix until moist. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes for cupcakes. The cake took around 40 minutes to bake.

Chocolate Frosting
6 Tblsp butter softened
2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup cocoa

sift cocoa and sugar together. Cream butter. Add sugar and milk alternating between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!