In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Bageling...take 2!!!


Last night I had a very weird dream about donuts....since I am scared to try them, I decided that bagels were a close second.
I knew that this time I wanted to try to make them a little smoother, and I wanted to try different flavors.
I folded the dough on itself when I formed the balls to proof. Kinda like you would pizza dough. It worked really well.
I did two flavors. One was a sweet one, Chocolate Chocolate Chip. I added about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the dough, as well as 2Tblsp of unsweetened coco. During the kneading process the chocolate chips that I had added melted into the dough, so I added some more when I formed the bagels so that little bits of chocolate would be throughout. The finished product turned out wonderful! Not too sweet, and will be great toasted with some strawberry jam spread on it.
The second flavor I made this morning is what I am calling a "Simon and Garfunkel" bagel, because I added, "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" to the dough as I was kneading it. The herbs were fresh from my garden. I brushed the top with an egg wash and sprinkled kosher salt on top. You taste the salt right away, and then the herbs come along and soften the harshness of the salt. Can't wait to make a sandwich on them!

2 comments:

  1. ok seriously - give me bagels as gifts for the rest of our lives and I'll be happy! My whole mouth just filled up with spit while I read that...ok gross...but take it as a complement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm impressed. I just might give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!