In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Creative Leftovers

The other day I made a large pot of sausage spaghetti sauce. We had alot leftover and I had to come up with a way to use it. I was out of spaghetti noodles and with Hurricane Irene quickly approaching I wasn't about to brave the commissary just for spaghetti noodles! So I got creative and turned it into a wonderful soup! It was a cross between pasta fagoli and minestrone. It was filling and delicious and a great way to use leftovers.

Slowcooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb Italian Sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 cup sliced mushroom
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 zuchinni chopped
1 cup red wine (optional)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 can tomato sauce
3 Tblsp tomato paste
2 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
3 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage in a pan. Add it to the slowcooker and then add all the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 6 hours on low.
Serve over your favorite pasta.

Turning the Sauce into soup!

Put leftover sauce into the slowcooker. Add two cans of beef broth and one can kidney beans. Cook on low for four hours. About 45 minutes before you want to eat switch for high and add 1/2 a box of macaroni.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!