In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Small Part of our "Feast" Tonight

This evening we are having my inlaws and good family friends over for dinner. This is our menu for this evening:
We will start out with a cheese platter, followed by:
Beef and Shrimp Kabobs
Bismati Curried Rice
Salad
Cucumber Salad
Peasant Bread
For dessert we have made four different kinds of sorbet, strawberry, grapefruit, lemon and orange.
To accompany the sorbets we will have balsamic truffles along with ginger cookies.
Because I am guarding my truffle recipes, I will share my ginger cookie recipe. I found it on Foodnetwork.com. I made a few changes and am quite pleased with the results!

Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup butter, unsalted and softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* I added raw sugar to roll the cookies in prior to baking*


Directions

Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in molasses and egg. Add 1 cup of flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and ground cloves and stir to combine. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time. Chill dough in freezer for 15 minutes, (because my day got crazy I chilled them for longer, and it worked great, I also kept the extra dough chilling while the rest of the batch were baking). Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in raw sugar. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. (I wanted crispy cookies, so I flattened the cookies with the bottom of a glass before baking, and baked for about 15 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!