In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Monday, May 30, 2011

A Last Minute Lovliness


The other night I got creative with dinner. I didn't get the chicken breasts out in time to make my taco soup, so I had to get inventive.
It was the last week before payday, when things are a little tight, so I had to rely on what I had in my fridge and pantry.
I found spinach, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes. I always keep puff pastry in my freezer...it is so handy for things. So this is what I came up with.

Mediterranean Chicken Pizza

2 Chicken breasts
1 can chicken broth
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1 TBLSP butter
1 TBLSP flour
1 cup milk
1 package crumbled feta cheese
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, drained of oil
sprinkling of pine nuts (optional)
1 sheet puff pastry

Defrost one sheet of puff pastry according to the package directions. (I left it in one big sheet this time, but next time I think I will cut it into individual pizza sizes) Place on pan and prick it with a fork.
Poach the chicken breast in the chicken broth until done, covered on medium heat. If one can of chicken broth doesn't cover the breasts, add water until they are just covered. When done and cooled shred chicken, add red pepper and salt and pepper to taste, as well as the spinach. Set aside.
Now for the sauce for the pizza. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the milk, cook on medium low heat until thickened. Add the nutmeg and half of the package of feta. Feta doesn't melt completely, so the sauce will be a bit lumpy.
Spread sauce on puff pastry, add chicken mixture, sundried tomatoes and the rest of the feta. Bake at 400 for about 25-30 minutes, until pastry in done. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and enjoy!
*You can also make this pizza early in the day and put it in the fridge until it is time to bake!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!