In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Two Of My Favorite Things!


I have found a new addiction. I love to cook, and I love to read, and now some authors have combined the two, in what I am calling "Food Lit". I love it! Not only do I get a story, but I also get recipes to try as well!
Stacey Ballis and her novel, "Good Enough To Eat" was the first book I read in this wonderful genre, and I loved it! Again, she combined two of my favorite things!
The recipe I want to share today if from "How to Bake a Perfect Life" by Barbara O'Neal. Another great book. The recipe's all revolve around bread products...which is one of my favorite things!

Hearty Berry Streusel Muffins
Makes 30-32

These are great, filling muffins. Because of the lack of fat, the have a heavier texture,but the flavor is outstanding! Plus, they are healthier for you!

1 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 6 oz container raspberry or blueberry yogurt
1/2 cup milk
3 TBSP canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup each fresh blueberries and raspberries

Streusel
1/4 cup four
3 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped, lightly toasted walnut, pecans or almonds
1 1/2 TBSP butter melted

Prepare muffin tines with paper or oil. Prepare streusel first and set aside.
For Muffins: Mix dry ingredients well. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients except berries and beat together well. Pour wet ingredients into the dry mix and beat firmly and quickly just until thoroughly moistened. Add berried and fold in gently. Divide batter into muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan to set the berries, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.




Reagan enjoying the fruits of my labor!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, mmm, streusel always makes muffins twice as good. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!