In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Facing Past Failures

I have come to realize that part of my cooking/baking journey is facing past failures. When I think about my cooking catastrophe's I have to put Beef Stroganoff, Green Tomato Pie, Biscuits, Italian Meatball Meatloaf, and a casserole with apples, sausage and sweet potatoes in it.
Some of them I don't plan on revisiting, the memories are just too painful! However, I have conquered the Beef Stroganoff, and just recently tackled biscuits again.
Before when I have made biscuits they have turned out more like crackers then bread. I have tried all sorts of recipes and tricks, but recently discovered a recipe that worked really well, well enough that we actually ate the entire batch of them! The recipe wasn't in any fancy or secretive cookbook, but simply on the back of the baking powdered can!



2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup of milk
1 TBSP soft butter

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Using your hands (they called for a pastry cutter, but I have found that my hands work better), work in the shortening till mixture resembles course crumbs.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the milk all at once. Using a for stir just till moistened and dough pulls away from the bowl (dough will be sticky). On a floured surface lightly knead dough with floured hands for 30 seconds or till nearly smooth. Lightly roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2 biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Place biscuits close together on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with soft butter. Bake in 475 degree oven for 11-15 minutes or till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!