In the past year my passion for food has risen to the forefront of my day to day life. I have come to realize the power of food to create memories and traditions. The "mess ups" provide opportunity to laugh while the good ones are wonderful to share.

Friday, July 30, 2010

The First Course

Well, I have always enjoyed being in the kitchen for as long as I can remember. Before I was allowed in the real kitchen I would have my own "mud bakeries" outside in the backyard. The idea of experimenting and developing new things always interested me.
I was so excited when I became old enough for my mom to allow me in the kitchen to experiment. Like any novice cook I had my fair share of catastrophe's. Green Tomato Pie, Beef Stroganoff just to name two of them, but overall I think I did pretty well.
I got away from cooking after high school. I was too busy working to really have fun in the kitchen. I had my old favorites that I would bring out from time to time, like my lasagna, but I didn't really have a chance to experiment.
After I got married in 2006 my husband joined the Army and went off to Basic Training. I moved in with my in laws. My father-in-law is a wonderful cook and began teaching me the basics such as how to make different sauces. I was amazed that making an Alfredo sauce really wasn't that difficult.
I got to stretch my culinary wings when we got stationed in Arizona. Again, I had some difficulties, such as my Italian Meatball Meatloaf, (great in theory, awful in execution), and a sweet potato, sausage and apple concoction that I cooked beyond recognition in the crockpot.
Since then I have done some studying, watching Food Network and becoming more knowledgeable of flavors and spices and techniques and why they work together, (or don't in some aspects).
I have come to realize that foods are wonderful tools to hold memories. I can still remember working in the kitchen with my Grandma making her meatloaf and bbq spareribs. I remember standing next to my mother learning how to scramble an egg. And Thanksgiving doesn't seem like Thanksgiving unless my grandmothers sausage and apple stuffing is on the table. I want my children to have those same sort of memories. I want the recipes I use today to be passed down as my family grows.
This is my way of sharing with the world. I will be sharing recipes, cooking adventures, and because I love history some of that will be included along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I love that I got to be present for your childhood food faux pas - and yes, they were pretty nasty...look how far we've both come! (we even like chicken now ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your adventures in the kitchen and what you think of mine...share away!